By Maurice Whitehead
Analysing a interval of 'hidden history', this booklet tracks the destiny of the English Jesuits and their academic paintings via 3 significant foreign crises of the eighteenth century:
· the Lavalette affair, a massive monetary scandal, now not in their making, which annihilated the Society of Jesus in France and resulted in the pressured flight of exiled English Jesuits and their scholars from France to the Austrian Netherlands in 1762;
· the common suppression of the Jesuit order in 1773 and the English Jesuits' outstanding survival of that occasion, following a moment compelled flight to the protection of the Principality of Liège;
· the French Revolution and their slim get away from annihilation in Liège in 1794, leading to a 3rd compelled flight with their scholars, this time to England.
Despite repeated crises, large adversity and a number of losses of group of workers, estate and academic items, together with major libraries, the suppressed English Jesuits reconfigured themselves. Modernising their curriculum, they prompted the improvement of Jesuit schooling not just within the uk, but additionally within the nascent u . s . a .: in 1789, their impression contributed to the founding of Georgetown Academy, which later constructed into the present-day Georgetown collage in Washington, DC.
English Jesuit schooling is a special tale of academic survival and improvement opposed to possible most unlikely odds, drawing on hitherto principally unexplored fabric in quite a lot of archives.
Read or Download English Jesuit Education: Expulsion, Suppression, Survival and Restoration, 1762-1803 PDF
Similar world history books
Gabriel Raspe's photographs of the Polish military in 1775 is without doubt one of the earliest and whole representations of the Polish military within the eighteenth century. for nearly 200 years this whole paintings has no longer been available, yet Winged Hussar has edited this translation of the book making it on hand to scholars and fanatics
How struggle has been remembered jointly is the vital query during this quantity. struggle within the 20th century is a bright and demanding phenomenon which left in the back of it survivors who have interaction time and time back in acts of remembrance. This quantity, containing essays through notable students of twentieth-century heritage, specializes in the problems raised by means of the shadow of conflict during this century.
This can be the wonderful tale of HMS guess, pushed ashore in foul climate onto the inhospitable coast of Patagonian Chile in 1741. Shipwreck was once through homicide, hunger, mutiny, and the nervous ordeal of 36 survivors out of approximately a hundred and forty males. a few have been enslaved, a few defected; many drowned. The captain shot considered one of his officials.
In response to archival and first assets in Persian, Hebrew, Judeo-Persian, Arabic, and ecu languages, among Foreigners and Shi'is examines the Jews' spiritual, social, and political prestige in nineteenth-century Iran. This ebook, which specializes in Nasir al-Din Shah's reign (1848-1896), is the 1st complete scholarly try to weave these types of threads right into a unmarried tapestry.
- Rise Up, Women!: The Militant Campaign of the Women's Social and Political Union, 1903-1914 (Routledge Library Editions: Women's History)
- Midway 1942: Turning point in the Pacific (Campaign)
- B-17 Flying Fortress Units of the MTO (Combat Aircraft)
- Maurice Dobb: Political Economist (Palgrave Studies in the History of Economic Thought Series)
Extra resources for English Jesuit Education: Expulsion, Suppression, Survival and Restoration, 1762-1803
English Jesuit Education: Expulsion, Suppression, Survival and Restoration, 1762-1803 by Maurice Whitehead